Wednesday, April 01, 2020

“Best things happen when you least expect.”



 
It all started with a phonecall from my maternal uncle from Kolkata whose 70th Birthday was due in a week’s time . I had made arrangements for my mother to attend the occasion , but I did not have any plans to join due to work. However with much coaxing from my uncle I  wrapped up my work and joined him one day before his 70th Birthday . I not only ended up attending his 70th Birthday Party , but also joined them on their trip to Arunachal Pradesh.

Now from where did this Arunachal trip crop up . Yes my uncle and aunty in Kolkata are avid travellers.  And since I was already in Kolkata with my mother it made sense to join them .  So a sudden family vacation - Courtesy my uncle.

Well the process to book hotels through apps is rather a task and unreliable.  As most hotels in Arunachal do not have a good equation with online booking apps. So after booking through the apps , I had to cancel and rebook directly with the hotels. Managed to get all the stay sorted before we could land there.

On 5th Nov  2019 we landed in Guwahati and rested for that day . Next day morning we left for Arunachal  Pradesh . We reached our first stop – A beautiful place called Dirang .  I was very impressed with the clean roads. The view up the winding roads was a visual treat .  From beautiful monasteries  , to resorts , to locals , to kids playing in the open and the infinite mountains staring at you .

We stayed at a resort called Awoo in Dirang.  Apart from the hospitable staff , the heater in the room was a savior . 


Next day we left for another town called Tawang. I came across one of the best Monasteries. I was delighted to step inside and sit for the prayers .  I would say , this experience was one of the highlights of my trip .  The other one being , playing housie with the family while sipping some local wine .
 


Our next  destination was Bumla pass and like many touristy people we too were excited to see the Indo – China border . The icing was the beautiful lakes we came across on our way to the Bumla pass . 





Finally we reached the top which was approx. 15,000 feet high . All the tourists assembled in a holding area where tea and biscuits were served . Then in groups we walked to the point where we supposedly could see the Indo – China border . China toh door door tak nahi dikha but instead got a brief history on Indo China war .


 
After an hour or two and all the photo session , we began our descent to Tawang , we reached our guesthouse – Ugyenling. We rested and next day morning we were on our way to Bomdila , where we halted for one night at a guesthouse called Highlanders . What amazed me that the guesthouse was run only by woman , Right from the porter to housekeeping to cooks – All women .

Finally we reach Guwahato airport and back to Kolkata . For a few days my mind was still in the mountains . It will only be fair to say “Best things happen when you least expect.” 




No comments: